Anthony Joshua is bringing in someone a bit more ‘old and experienced’ to work alongside Angel Fernandez ahead of his rematch with Oleksandr Usyk, according to a report.
The British superstar has made several changes to his training camp as the 32-year-old bids to win back his heavyweight titles in a crucial rematch against the Ukrainian in Saudi Arabia on July 23.
Previous trainer Rob McCracken was heavily criticised in the wake of that defeat and replaced by Fernandez a few months later, while former assistant coach Joby Clayton has also been nowhere to be seen since then.
And according to highly respected boxing outlet Boxing News, AJ, 32, is also hoping to bring in an extra pair of hands to help spread some of the workload.
Fernandez, who trains his charges out of Loughborough University, holds the position as head trainer in Joshua’s set up but it seems the Brit is looking to add further experience alongside the Spaniard.
And Joshua will need all the help he can get when he faces Usyk, 35, for the second time this summer.
The Olympics hero was comfortably outclassed over 12 rounds at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last September dashing any hopes of an all-British undisputed clash with Tyson Fury.
Usyk is expected to defend all four crowns he won during their scrap but budding heavyweight Frazer Clarke believes Joshua has got a good team of people around him.
Speaking on Sky Sports, Clarke said: “I think the loss has made him better.
“He’s opened his eyes a bit. It’s made him mentally better. I think he knows what he needs to do.
“I think he’s changed his situation, which he thinks will help him. He’s got a team of people that are dedicated for one thing, and that’s AJ getting the result.
“You can’t write Usyk off, he’s an unbelievable fighter. But I’d like to think AJ’s in a place where he can go on and get this win.”
As of right now, the exact date and location for Joshua’s rematch with Usyk has not been announced, but promoter Eddie Hearn insists that all will be revealed soon.
Hearn told iFL TV: “I think there’s a very good chance you’ll see that fight July 23 in the Middle East.
“We have had a number of offers from around the world. We have been working through those and we’re closing in on that option.
“Team Usyk have stressed that that’s the option they would prefer because obviously it’s a lot of money.
“Quite frankly, I think Team Usyk would rather a neutral venue and I don’t blame them for that. So, that’s where we’re at.
“Do we announce this week? Probably not. But do we announce next week? Almost certainly.
“You will see that fight, you will see that fight in July and you’ll get an official announcement soon.”