MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry reportedly declined to comment when the US media enquired about the Duchess’ plans after her second child arrives this summer.
Meghan and Harry excitedly announced they were expecting their second child on Valentine’s Day back in February.
Their first child, Archie, has since celebrated his second birthday, and is expected to become a big brother at some point over the summer.
The Sussexes also told Oprah Winfrey in March that they were expecting a girl in the first-ever royal gender reveal.
Harry said: “To have a boy and then a girl, you know, what more can you ask for?”
He then confirmed they had no plans to have any more children after that, as he said, “the four of us and our two dogs” now complete their family.
The couple are said to be planning to take a break after the arrival of their daughter to “spend quality time” with their children, according to an insider, although nothing has been confirmed.
The Duchess of Sussex has withdrawn from her public appearances in recent weeks, and was last seen in a pre-recorded message for Vax Live back in April.
However, US newspaper The Washington Post claimed: “After the arrival of their second child, a girl, later this year, Meghan will eventually resume some of her philanthropic work on behalf of women and girls.”
Journalists Ashley Fetters and Heather Kelly added: “A spokesperson for the couple declined to comment on the record for this article.”
This is a surprise because the couple have been very accommodating towards the US media since they relocated to California last March.
Not only did they agree to star in the famous CBS Special with Oprah — which made headlines around the world — they have also appeared on Time100’s Special TV Event on ABC to discuss registering to vote.
The couple have megawatt deals with Netflix and Spotify too, and have used other mainstream US outlets to promote their work.
Harry recently appeared on Good Morning America to promote his new Apple TV+ docuseries with Oprah, where they spoke candidly about their work.
When BuzzFeed News recently conducted an investigation into the Duke of Sussex’s claims about his mental health over the years, a Sussex spokesperson gave a lengthy response for the article, too.
Even if the couple do take a break as reported, they are now bound to several commercial contracts so it is unlikely that they will be away from their new venture Archewell for very long.
The couple are known for their work ethic as well.
Meghan was heavily praised for carrying out some royal duties behind the scenes during the final months of her pregnancy with Archie back in 2019.
She worked on the September issue of British Vogue for the ‘Forces For Change’ edition, and collaborated with Smart Works, a UK-based charity for unemployed women, and launched a capsule collection of workwear for them.
Harry was back to work just three days after his son’s birth, flying to the Netherlands for the launch of the Invictus Games.
They then went on an official royal tour to South Africa with four-month-old Archie that autumn.
While the UK grants 52 weeks of statutory maternity leave and two weeks of paternity leave, the US allows mothers to take up to 12 weeks off.
The Sunday Telegraph reported that Meghan was going to be on maternity leave from mid-May earlier this year, although the couple themselves have not confirmed any details.
She was assumed to be quite far along in her pregnancy after her doctor advised her not to travel to the UK for Prince Philip’s funeral in April, meaning Harry had to attend alone.
It’s not yet known when the couple might next visit Britain, as the baby’s arrival could mean Harry is not able to return for the unveiling of Princess Diana’s memorial statue on July 1.
Some believe they will try to return to the UK for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations next year.
Archie was last in the UK in November 2019, while Meghan has not set foot on British soil since she stepped down from royal duties back in March last year.