It’s the first we’ve heard from the couple since they announced they would be stepping back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and working to become financially independent.
Less than 24 hours after dropping a royal bombshell, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have broken their silence to send a public message to Kate Middleton.
The Duchess of Cambridge is celebrating her 38th birthday today and members of the Royal Family had been sending her their birthday wishes.
Kensington Palace thanked the public for their “lovely messages”, alongside what was thought to be a previously unseen image of the duchess, casually dressed in jeans and jumper as she sits on a fence, by photographer Matt Porteous.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have since commented on the image writing: “Wishing a very happy birthday to The Duchess of Cambridge today!”
It’s the first we’ve heard from the couple since they announced they would be stepping back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and working to become financially independent while continuing to “fully support” the Queen.
The couple’s decision was announced on Wednesday evening but it’s claimed they didn’t consult any other members of the Royal Family about it.
In a statement the Queen’s office said discussions with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on their decision were “at an early stage”, adding: “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
Kate was expected to celebrate her birthday on Thursday with husband William and their three children – six-year-old Prince George, Princess Charlotte, four, and 20-month-old Prince Louis.
However Prince William is said to be in a “rage” over the announcement with an insider telling the Sun : “Their statement was not cleared with anyone.
It breaks all protocol. This is a declaration of war on the family.
There is fury over how they’ve done this without any thought for the implications for the institution. The Queen is deeply upset.
The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge are incandescent with rage.
Courtiers can’t believe it. There are so many unanswered questions but they’ve just up and done it without a thought for anyone else.
Kate has faced numerous reports of a rift with her sister-in-law Meghan after the American actress married Harry, followed by a falling-out between William and his brother.
Harry and Meghan also split their household from Kensington Palace, then left the Royal Foundation they shared with Kate and William.
In a television documentary, the Sussexes spoke of their struggles, with Harry saying he had “good days” and “bad days” in his relationship with William.
Madam Tussouds London today removed Harry and Meghan’s waxworks out of the Royal Family display in a bid to mirror their ‘progressive new role within the Royal institution’.
They previously stood alongside The Queen, Prince Philip, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Steve Davies, General Manager at Madame Tussauds London, said: “Alongside the rest of the world we are reacting to the surprising news that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be stepping back as senior Royals.
From today Meghan and Harry’s figures will no longer appear in our Royal Family set.
As two of our most popular and well-loved figures they will of course remain an important feature at Madame Tussauds London as we watch to see what the next chapter holds for the them.