Prince Harry has broken his silence over claims the choice of name for his new daughter had caused upset in Buckingham Palace.
The Duke of Sussex took issue with claims from a Palace source that he had not asked the Queen about using the name – one she was regularly called herself in childhood.
Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor was born on Friday and becomes Harry and Meghan’s second child – and the Queen’s latest great-granddaughter.
Prince Harry has said he did speak to the Queen before choosing the name – and she was “supportive”.
His official spokesman said: “The Duke spoke with his family in advance of the announcement, in fact his grandmother was the first family member he called.
“During that conversation, he shared their hope of naming their daughter Lilibet in her honor. “Had she not been supportive, they would not have used the name.”
A Palace source previously told the BBC this was not the case – and the Queen was “never asked” about its use.
It commes amid pressure in the relationship with Harry and Meghan – who have scrapped their Royal duties, reports The Sun.
Lilibet was a name used by the Queen’s father King George VI, her beloved late husband Prince Philip and a few other close friends.
Buckingham Palace officials were said to be unaware the baby had been born until the announcement came out at 5pm on social media.
And the Palace previously declined to discuss when the Queen was informed of the safe arrival of her newest great-grandchild.